What You Need:
- Your favorite cake recipe
- Cupcake pan
- Cupcake liners
- White frosting
- Green and blue food coloring
- Butter knife
- Large marshmallows
- Kitchen scissors
- Chocolate chips
- Small knife
- Mixing bowl
What You Do:
- Have your child mix up a batch of her favorite cake batter, and prepare cupcakes them according to the directions. This is a great time to practice measuring and separating wet and dry ingredients.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before decorating.
- Create some green icing by mixing several drops of green food coloring with your favorite white frosting in a large bowl. You may also want to add a few drops of blue food coloring for a deeper shade.
- Have your child frost the cupcakes with a knife, being generous with the frosting.
- Cut some marshmallows in half width-wise.
- Place the marshmallows sticky side up, and help your child cut a tiny dent in the center of the marshmallow with a sharp knife.
- Have your child press a chocolate chip upside down into the holes, to create the eyeballs.
- Press two marshmallow eyes onto the top of each cupcake.
- Cut pieces of licorice to about 3” long, and press them into each cupcake, below the eyes, to create a smile.
Share these swampy treats with friends!