What You Need:
- Magnet sheet
- Cereal box
- Heavy book
- Blackboard paint
- Silver paint
- Paint brush
What You Do:
- Have your child lay newspaper over her workspace.
- Help her carefully tear or cut off the front panel of the cereal box.
- Let her use a paint brush to cover one side of the cereal box panel with blackboard paint.
- Set the cereal board aside to dry.
- Check the paint. If you can still see the cereal print through the paint, have your child give it another coat.
- Once the blackboard paint is completely dry, help her glue the magnet sheet to the unpainted side of the cereal box panel.
- Use scissors to cut the cereal box panel to the size of the magnet sheet.
- Set the project underneath a heavy book to help the glue dry and stick.
- A plain, blackboard looks a bit boring. Let your child use silver paint to create an artsy border. She can even add her own name or a favorite quote to the top.
- Just add chalk, and she's ready to start writing and drawing!
Encourage your child to take her finished project to school. Will her blackboard be filled with test date reminders or fun messages from friends? Why not both?