What You Need:
- Two dozen flowers
- Cotton string
- Long needle
What You Do:
- Assemble your flowers, and cut their stems off. Have your child plan what kind of pattern she'd like to organize the flowers in considering flower type, color, and size.
- Have your child cut a piece of cotton string about 7 feet long.
- Fold the string in half. Using a double-stranded string will ensure a sturdy lei.
- Knot one end of the string so the flowers will not slide off.
- Take over and thread the other end of the string into the needle.
- After you poke the needle into the center of a flower let your child slide it down the string gently.
- Keep stringing flowers on until the string is filled with flowers.
- Tie the ends of the string in a tight knot, forming a necklace.
Flowers like lilies, lilacs and roses make a marvelous smelling lei!