What You Need:
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp of beeswax
- ½ tsp honey
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- Several clean tin lids, or small tin or glass jars
- 1 microwave-safe bowl
- 1 fork or whisk
- Wax paper
- Saran wrap or aluminum foil
- Essential oils (optional)
What You Do:
- Have her place the beeswax and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. She should use less beeswax for a softer lip balm or the entire tablespoon for a firm lip balm.
- Cover the bowl with a piece of wax paper and heat the beeswax and coconut oil in the microwave for 3 minutes, checking it every 30 seconds to make sure it doesn't overheat.
- After the mixture is melted, ask her to take it out of the microwave, being careful not to spill it or burnherself.
- Invite her to add the baking soda, honey, and essential oil to the mixture. Whisk together, using the fork, for at least a minute.
- After the mixture appears consistent throughout, help her pour it equally among the tin lids or jars.
- Have her carefully place the containers into the refrigerator; let cool. If you do not have access to a refrigerator, ask her to set the tin lids aside in a cool area to give it a chance to harden.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap over each tin of lip balm to keep dust out and moisture in. If using small jars, simply close them up with their accompanying lids.
She can keep one for herself, and give one as a gift! Have her personalize her homemade lip balms by experimenting with the addition of her favorite essential oils, as well as working to find the right flavor and consistency.