What You Need:
- Uncooked eggs
- Brown or purple onion skins
- Squares of old cloth or nylon stockings
- Small leaves or rice
- Rubber bands
- Pot for boiling eggs
- Covered table
- Cooking oil
What You Do:
- Place the cloth or nylon stocking square on the table.
- Have your child put about six layers of onion skin on the cloth in any arrangement with any color.
- Now have him place leaves or bits of rice on top of the onion skins.
- Place the egg on top of the skins, leaves and rice, then place more onion skins on top of this.
- Wrap the cloth or nylon stocking around the egg and skins firmly. Younger children may need help wrapping the egg firmly in the stocking.
- Now wrap several rubber bands around the cloth to keep it in place and to press the onion skins firmly against the egg's surface.
- Lower the wrapped eggs into a pot of boiling water for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the egg from the pot and cool.
- Remove the cloth and materials from the egg.
- Rub the egg with a little cooking oil to give it a shine.
When you're done, you'll have a festive and beautifully decorated eggs to spice up a set table or to use as delightful, home decorations!