What You Need:
- Masking tape
- Papier-mâché mix (this can be purchased at most arts and crafts supply stores or you can mix your own with flour and water)
- Construction paper
- Plastic bowl
- Tempera paints
What You Do:
- Cut and roll the newspaper into the shape of the shofar (ram’s horn shape). Insert crumpled newspaper into the middle of the shofar. This will help to hold the shape, but will be removed later.
- Mix the papier-mâché paste in the plastic bowl.
- Cut strips of construction paper. Dip these, one at a time, into the papier-mâché paste. Cover the outside of the newspaper with the papier-mâché strips.
- Set aside to dry.
- Once fully dry, remove the crumpled newspaper from the inside.
- Paint both the inside and outside.
Take a trip to the local library and look for child-friendly books on this icon of Jewish holidays that is commonly made from a ram’s horn. Recreate the shape in a three-dimensional form and add some impressive colors for a complete look!