What You Need:
- Large glass bowl filled with water
- Markers or colored pencils
- Small hand-held pumpkin your child can carry
- Printed Pumpkin Math Book
What You Do:
- Print both pages of the Pumpkin Math Book and carefully cut along the dotted lines. Arrange and staple the eight-page Pumpkin Math Book.
- Color the cover.
- Weigh your pumpkin and record. Be sure to label (pounds, kilograms, etc.)
- Measure the circumference of your pumpkin with string and tape it into the book.
- Circle the words that describe the texture of your pumpkin. Add your own describing words.
- Make a prediction about whether your pumpkin will float or not. Test your pumpkin in the bowl with water. Record the result.
- Complete the pumpkin pattern.
- Count the stripes on your pumpkin. Make sure to pay attention to where you started.
- Sketch your pumpkin. Add a silly or scary face!
- Share your Pumpkin Math Book with a sibling, parent or friend.
This range of math activities will help your child with critical thinking, logical reasoning, observation, and light a spark of excitement about Halloween!