What You Need:
- Your favorite cupcake mix
- Paper cupcake liners
- Taffy candy in rainbow colors
- Wax paper
- Marshmallow fluff
- Green and blue food coloring
- White frosting
- Green sugar sprinkles
- Mixing bowl
- Chocolate gold coin candy (for additional decoration)
What You Do:
- Help your child bake the cupcakes and let them cool. Refrigerating them will also make them easier to decorate.
- To make the rainbows, unwrap the taffy and keep the colors separated. Roll each piece into a pencil shape and stack them in order of rainbow colors on the wax paper.
- Smash the colors down so they attach to one another, and curve the log of taffy into a rainbow shape.
- Cut off the edges to create a rainbow that will fit on top of the cupcake. Stretch out the excess taffy into other rainbows, and repeat until you have a rainbow for each cupcake.
- Store your rainbows in the freezer on the wax paper.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the icing with four drops of green and two drops of blue food coloring to make an emerald color.
- Use the knife to ice the top of all of the cupcakes with a thick layer of green icing. Sprinkle the icing with green crystal sprinkles to give it a shine.
- Drop two spoonfuls of marshmallow fluff onto each cupcake for two small clouds to hold the rainbow in place.
- Push a frozen rainbow through the cloud and into the icing to keep it upright.
If you like, place a gold coin into the marshmallow cloud, or beside the cupcake for a bit of luck! That way, you can lean your rainbow against a coin to help keep it stabilized.