What You Need:
- Poster board
- Ruler or yardstick
- Trash (items your family discards often)
What You Do:
- Check the rules in your area for recycling. You can do this by checking with your city's recology or garbage service. Oftentimes, they'll post what you can and cannot recycle on their website.
- Have your child organize some trash into two piles. One pile for items that can be recycled and another pile for items that cannot.
- Pick out the top five items that your family uses most often from each pile.
- On the top of the poster, have your child write "Recycling Rules" in big, bold letters.
- Use the ruler to draw a straight line right down the middle of the poster.
- Have your child write "Yes!" on one side of the line and "No!" on the other side.
- Let your child use the glue to attach all of the items that are recyclable on the "Yes!" side and all of the items that are not recyclable on the "No!" side.
- If there are other things you want to put on the list that won't fit, write them in at the bottom of the poster.
Once the glue is dry, you can hang up your finished poster near your trash can or somewhere where everyone in the family will see it and remember that recycling rules!