What You Need:
- Flimsy paper plate
- Markers or crayons
- Hole punch
- Drinking straw, cut in half
- 2 small empty spools
What You Do:
- Help your child fold the paper plate in half, then outline a profile of a dog on the plate so the fold will run down the center of the dog's back.
- Cut out the dog, and have her decorate it with markers or crayons.
- Have her fold the front legs together while you punch a hole in them 1/4 inch from the bottom. Do the same for the back legs.
- Slip one half of your straw through a hole in the front leg. Put a spool over the straw, then put the straw through the hole in the other leg. Even out the straw and trim it so that 1/2 an inch sticks out from each side.
- Repeat the same process on the back legs.
- Now your dog will stand up on the spools. Give him a little push and watch him roll!
You can make more rolling creatures in the same way. Let your child decide what other rolling animal toys she wants. After you've made a few, have a race and see which animal wins!