What You Need:
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup spinach, chopped
- ½ cup zucchini, diced
- ½ cup avocado, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Ham, precooked, sliced and heated up
- Green food coloring (optional)
What You Do:
- In a dry pan over medium to medium-high heat, heat the ham through. Set it aside and keep it warm.
- Heat a medium pan with a teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- While your pan is heating, beat the eggs in a small bowl and add two drops of green food coloring, if you are using it. Mix the eggs well.
- Once the pan is hot, sauté the spinach and zucchini in the oil for a minute or two, until the spinach has wilted.
- Carefully add the eggs to the pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir the eggs constantly (but gently) and add the avocado. Be sure not to break up the avocado too much.
- When the eggs are and no longer runny, move them to a platter with the ham.
- Feel free to substitute other vegetables that your child might like better. Also, top the eggs with any of your child’s favorite additions such as green onions, shredded cheese or hot sauce. Enjoy!
Sprinkle in a reading of Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham for some added Seussational flavor and a tribute to the man who was all about reading! Cooking with your kids is a great way to get them involved in the kitchen, making healthy choices about the foods they eat. Not to mention, it's a great way for them to practice measurement skills and following directions.