What You Need:
- 6 ½-inch square sheet of card stock
- Colored felt-tip pens or pencils (six or seven different colors)
- Tangram templates and pieces
What You Do:
- Print out a sample template and a set of pieces.
- Ask your child to color each segment in the template a different color.
- Ask your child to carefully glue the template to the card.
- When the glue is dry, help your child to cut out the tangram pieces.
- Jumble up the pieces and see how quickly your child can make a square from the pieces.
- Mix the pieces up again and see if he can improve his assembly time.
- Mix the pieces up again and see if he is able to make a rectangle.
- Ask your child to make other pictures using the pieces.
Try playing other games with your tangram. Here's one idea: make a second tangram set. Give your child one set, and arrange the other into a shape. Challenge your child to arrange her set into the same shape.