What You Need:
- 5 clear drinking glasses
- 5 different beverages
- Food coloring
- Group of friends
What You Do:
- Have your child line up the five drinking glasses on a table.
- Let her fill each drinking glass with a different beverage. (The clearer the beverages the better -- clear sodas and flavored waters are great choices, but include at least one type of juice.) Make a note of which beverage is in each glass.
- Help her add just a few drops of food coloring into each glass. Make sure she doesn't use the same color for every glass.
- Let her use a spoon to stir the food coloring into each beverage.
- Have her invite her group of friends (or family members) into the room.
- Let your child hand each taste tester a sheet of paper and a pencil.
- She should ask each person to write down what they guess each beverage is.
- Let the taste testers take a sip of each beverage and record if their guesses changed.
- Have your child reveal the actual beverages.
- Help her look at the results. Did anyone guess all the beverages correctly? Could anyone guess the flavor just by its appearance?
For a more competitive twist, make this activity a family game. Each player gets a point for every beverage they guess correctly! Let your child get in on the tasty action by coloring the drinks yourself.