What You Need:
- 15 ounce can of beans
- 16 ounce jar of salsa
- 5 nine-inch flour tortillas
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1 red pepper
- 1 small onion
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 9 inch pie pan
- Tin foil
What You Do:
- Start by inviting your child to gather all the ingredients needed to create this healthy and tasty dinner. She can place the uncooked chicken breast in a saucepan with the water and cover, bringing everything to a simmer.
- While the chicken is cooking, encourage your child to prepare the other ingredients by grating the cheese and dicing the vegetables. Using kitchen tools are a great culinary learning experience, but do need adult supervision! Offer help as needed.
- Once the chicken has simmered for at least 10 minutes, invite your child to turn off the top stove heat, and preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Next she’ll begin assembling the tortilla lasagna. She’ll be using the flour tortillas in place of lasagna noodles! Tell her to place a small amount of the salsa in the bottom of the pie pan and spread it around. Then place one of the tortillas on the salsa.
- Invite her to remove the chicken breast from the hot water and carefully dice with the knife. The chicken may still be hot, so work carefully!
- Now she can sprinkle the lasagna ingredients over the tortillas and layers any way she likes! Each layer could have a different ingredient, or could be covered with a little bit of each item!
- Once she has layered the tortillas and all her ingredients have been used up, she can add a final sprinkle of cheese as well as an additional dollop of salsa.
- Now cover the tortilla lasagna with tin foil and place in the hot oven for 30 minutes. Once the time is up, carefully take out the lasagna and remove the tinfoil. Then place it back in the oven until the top is bubbly hot and browned.
Serve the tortilla lasagna with a side of rice, salsa and sour cream!
Did You Know:
The tortilla dates back the ancient Aztecs, over 600 years ago! They were created by grinding corn, adding animal fat, and then pressing flat.