What You Need:
- Watermelon (not seedless!)
- White paper
- Large knife
- Measuring tape
What You Do:
- Invite your child to gather the ingredients for the seed spitting contest. He can get started creating a scorecard to keep track of each participant’s seed spitting distance.
- Help your child use a large knife to cut the watermelon into several slices, making sure each one has lots and lots of seeds.
- Remember, watermelon seeds can be a choking hazard, so make sure those participating in the seed spitting contest are over three years of age!
- Now your child can find the perfect spot for the seed spitting contest—a driveway works wonderfully. He can use a piece of chalk to mark where the participants should stand.
- Each person can take a turn standing on the line while eating a slice of watermelon, and spitting the seeds. Your child can use the measuring tape to measure and mark the distances. Not only is he having fun participating in a game, but he's also learning more about measurement.
Once everyone has had a turn, your child can announce the winner—and offer a special winning treat!