ABC Cowboy Duel
Students will be able to recognize and read the letters A, B, and C.
- Show students the ABC Song.
- Bring out the balloons and explain to your students that they will focus on three letters today.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling(10 minutes)
- Hand out the small alphabet cards.
- Show your students the A balloon. Read A, and ask your students to repeat after you a few times.
- Read the word cards attached to the balloon strings, and have your students repeat after you.
- Ask your students to find and raise up the small card that has A on it.
- Do the same with the letters B and C.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling(10 minutes)
- Hold up the large alphabet cards.
- Show students the A card, and ask your students to say A and raise up the small A card in their hands.
- Do the same with B and C.
- Repeat this process many times until you feel that the students are familiar with the 3 letters.
Independent Working Time(10 minutes)
- Have all the students take turns playing the "123 Cowboy Duel" game.
- Have 2 students come to the front, standing back to back.
- Ask the rest of the class to be quiet.
- Hand each of these 2 students a large alphabet card, and ask them to hold the card, letter side out, in front of their chests.
- Count 1, and direct the 2 students to take one step forward.
- Count 2, and have them take another step forward.
- Count 3, and direct the students to take one more step forward.
- Shout go, and have the 2 students turn around to face each other and immediately shout the other person's letter.
- Hold up the large alphabet cards, and ask your students to identify the letter.
- Have students read the letters aloud.
Review and Closing(5 minutes)
- Divide the class into pairs or small groups, and ask them to practice saying the letters with one another.