ABC's and Coconut Trees
Please add a student before creating an assignment
Go to Dashboard to add a studentDashboard
This new site feature allows users to choose from our hundreds of engaging learning games and exercises to create assignments for students. See below for details and simple instructions on how to use this exciting new feature.
How to Assign Games or Exercises
- You've selected a game or exercise to assign.
- From here, you have two options: Add the game or exercise to a new assignment, or add to an existing assignment.
- If you're creating a new assignment, give it a name. Adding a description or due date is optional. Click "Next".
- Select the child(ren) you want to send this assignment to, then click "Done". You will see a confirmation message once it has been successfully assigned.
How Children Can Access Their Assignments
- Your students can log in through your Pro membership log-in, or at learn.education.com by entering the Classroom Mode code.
- Once your child selects their profile, they will land on our main menu where they will see available assignments and due dates (if applicable).
- To complete the assignments, students click on the games or exercises listed on the assignment page, play, learn, and have fun!
- The main menu also allows students to see their progress in each individual game and exercise in the assignment.
Track Assignment ProgressAs your child completes each assignment, you'll be able to track their performance in the Assignments tab of our Progress Tracker. You'll also be able to make edits to assignments from here, like removing games or exercises, or changing the due date.
Students will be able to follow directions and identify letters of the alphabet.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Show students the cover of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.
- Ask students if they have heard this story before.
- Ask students if they recognize the picture on the front of the book.
- Explain that today, the students will be learning about letters.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Read students the story Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.
- Ask students to identify letters throughout the story.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Draw a coconut tree on the whiteboard.
- Ask students to name a letter they want to make on or under the coconut tree.
- Take turns giving students opportunities to make letters for the coconut tree.
Independent Working Time (15 minutes)
- Give each student a toilet paper roll covered in brown toilet paper.
- Give each student 4 leaf cut-outs and have them place the leaves on the roll, followed by different letter stickers.
- Ask students to identify the letters they are putting on.
- Have the class repeat this poem as they put letters on the tree " Chicka Chicka Boom Boom! Will there be enough room? Here comes letter ___ Up the coconut tree!"
- Enrichment: Have advanced students complete the Alphabet Mix Up worksheet.
- Support: Have struggling students work in pairs.
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Have students play the game Alphabet Demolition Bingo to practice letter recognition.
Review and Closing (10 minutes)
- Have students walk around the room and each identify a letter they see and can recognize.