Acrostic Research and Craft
Students will learn how to make acrostic poems and why research benefits them.
- Ask students if they know what it means to research a topic.
- Define research as an investigation into one topic to gain a better understanding and reach new conclusions.
- Ask students what an acrostic poem is. Define an acrostic poem as a poem where the first letter of each line, when read vertically, spells out a word or phrase.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling(20 minutes)
- Practice a few examples on the board using short and simple words.
- Next, have students write their own acrostic poem using their name.
- Check their poems for correct structure and grammatical correctness.
- As a class, go around and have students share their poems and what it describes about them.
- Tell students that they are now going to do an acrostic poem on a topic.
- Tell students that first they will read about the topic and then write the poem.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling(30 minutes)
- Give students books on their reading level about the topic of choice.
- Have them read, either individually or in small groups or pairs, the books.
- Tell them that while they are reading they are to look out for ways to describe the topic using its name.
- When they finish, give them half a sheet of notebook paper and have them write their rough draft acrostic poem on their topic.
- Edit their responses for correct spelling and adherence to the concept of the acrostic poem.
Independent Working Time(30 minutes)
- Give students the other half sheet of notebook paper to write and decorate the final draft of their acrostic poem.
- Next, give each student a toilet paper roll to make a 3D version of their topic.
- Then, give them two index cards to create a base and back drop for their topic's habitat.
- Enrichment: Challenge advanced students to write full sentences on their acrostic poem rather than single words for each letter.
- Support: Work with struggling students one on one by helping them reword their information to fit in the poem.
- Have students present their poems to their classmates and show their craft.
Review and Closing(10 minutes)
- Display the projects on student desks or by hanging them from the wall.