Add It Up! Counting Money
Students will be able to solve story problems by counting money.
- Explain to the students that they will be reviewing how to count money to solve story problems in today's lesson.
- Pass out the money (or manipulatives) to each student.
- Review how many cents a penny, nickel, dime, and quarter represent.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling(5 minutes)
- Hand out the Counting Money Word Problems document to each student.
- Model the first word problem for the class by reading it aloud and demonstrating with coins how to solve the problem.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling(10 minutes)
- Have the students, with the help of their partner, complete the rest of the word problems.
- Walk the room and monitor students.
Independent Working Time(10 minutes)
- Hand out the 2nd Grade Counting Coins I and 2nd Grade Present Math worksheets to each student.
- Allow the students to continue working in pairs to complete the worksheets.
- Enrichment: Have advanced students write a counting money word problem on their own on the back of the Word Problem worksheet.
- Support: Have struggling students work with a student that understands the lesson, or shorten the amount of work for the students to complete on the Word Problem document.
- Hand out the 2nd Grade Counting Coins II and the 2nd Grade How Many Coins worksheets to each student.
- Have students complete the worksheets independently as an assessment.
Review and Closing
- Create a group work station that has students counting money for on going practice and review.