All About Red
Students will be able to identify words that rhyme with red. Students will be able to identify various objects that are red.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Tell your students that today they will be learning about the color red.
- Ask your students if they can name any objects that are red.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (30 minutes)
- Go around the class and ask your students to name an object that is red.
- List the words, along with a drawing, on the board.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (20 minutes)
- Ask your students to color the pictures and trace the words on The Color Red worksheet.
- Set the timer to ten minutes.
- After the timer goes off, have your students cut the pictures along the dotted lines.
- Go around the class to staple the books together for your students.
Independent Working Time (20 minutes)
- Ask your students to complete the What Rhymes With Red? worksheet.
- Ask your students to use the words and illustrations on the board to help them.
- Enrichment: Ask your students to write five sentences using the word "red."
- Support: Take your students around the class in a line. Have them point and touch red objects. Tell them the name of the object. Have them repeat it.
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Ask your students to draw and write the names of any two objects that are red.
Review and Closing (20 minutes)
- Get a poster board and a bucket of red paint.
- Have the students come up one at a time and put their hands in the paint.
- After that, ask your students to put their hands on the poster board for five seconds.
- Ask each student to wash their hands with soap and water after putting their hand prints on the board.
- Ask your students to wipe their hands using paper towel.