All About the Letter A!
Students will be able to write and recognize words that begin with the letter A.
- Write the uppercase and lowercase letter A on the board.
- Ask students to name the letters and the sound the letter makes.
- Say, “Right! This is the letter A! It makes two sounds. The short A makes the sound, ah like in the word apple, and the long A says its name ay like in the word ape.
- Tell the class that today they will get to learn even more words that begin with the letter A!
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Point to the letters on the board and demonstrate how to write both the uppercase and lowercase letters.
- Demonstrate thinking aloud a word that begins with the letter A such as ant. Then, show the students how you can draw a picture of an ant and label the drawing “ant." Write the uppercase and lowercase A above your drawing.
Guided Practice(5 minutes)
- Tell students that they will get practice writing the uppercase letter A on the floor in front of them (model how to do this), then have them repeat this activity with the lowercase letter a.
- Ask the students to think of words that begin with the short A sound, like apple. Have them turn and talk to a partner to share words.
- Have pairs share their words with the class and record the words (with a small image) on the whiteboard.
- Repeat with long A words.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Explain that now students will get to choose one of the letter A words on the board to create an illustration of for a class A book. Demonstrate how students should write the uppercase and lowercase letter A above their illustrations (refer to your example on the board for reference).
- Pass out supplies to each student.
- Help students choose one of the letter A words to focus on for their page.
- Allow students additional practice forming the letter A using Writing the Letter a worksheet.
- Ask students to think of additional words that begin with the letter A to create a second page for the class book. Have students practice writing the words.
- Assess whether students are able to identify a word that begins with the letter A and that students can form the lowercase and uppercase letter A.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Gather the class back together and read through the class book.