All in a Word Family
Students will be able to identify and spell words in the -and family.
- Review short vowel sounds by watching the "Short Vowels" music video (see link in Related books and/or media section).
- Write each vowel on the whiteboard or chart paper and go over each sound individually. Remind students that vowels each make two sounds and tell them that today you will be focusing on the short vowel sounds.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Display a picture of something that starts with the short a sound (such as an apple) and ask students to say the sound the a makes.
- Write the word “and” on the board and sound the word out with your students (or review it if it is a known sight word).
- Explain that when you add a letter to the beginning of “and” you can make new words. Each of the new words will end with the same sound (and) but will all start with a new sound. Tell the class that all of the new words are part of the -and family.
- Demonstrate putting a new letter in front of “and” and reading it aloud.
Guided Practice(15 minutes)
- Create a class chart titled “-and Family.” Have students share with a partner to add words to the chart.
- Encourage students to think of blends to make additional -and family words, such as br, gr, etc.
- Add the new words to your chart. Students can write each word on an index card and then tape the words to the chart. If you are short on time you can write them directly on the chart.
- Use the new words in a silly poem or short story.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Pass out the Read and Spell -and Family Words worksheet and have the students complete it independently.
- Work with individual students as needed.
- Provide students with index cards and have them copy the -and family words from the class chart.
- Have students illustrate each index card and then practice reading each word.
- For advanced students, have them create their own -and family story using the words from the worksheet and class chart.
- Have students read one of the -and family words from the worksheet or class chart as an exit task.
- Check student worksheets to ensure that they were able to spell each of the and family words correctly.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Remind the students how to read the -and family words and celebrate their ability to read and spell more words.
- Demonstrate how to change an -and family word (by changing the first letter) and have a few students share a sentence they could use the word in.