A.M. or P.M.?
Students will be able to distinguish between a.m. and p.m. throughout the day.
- Talk with your class about time. Explain to your students that being able to read time is important because it ensures that they will be on time to appointments or meetings later on in life. Tell students that reading time can also help them keep track of everything they do in a day, and is necessary to create a schedule.
- Ask students if they know what a digital clock is. Write down your students' answers on the whiteboard.
- Ask students if they know what an analog clock is. Write down your students' answers on the whiteboard.
- Talk about what a.m. and p.m. mean. Define a.m. as meaning the time before noon, so from midnight to 11:59 in the morning. Define p.m. as meaning after noon, from the middle of the day until the middle of the night.
- Write down the definitions on the whiteboard.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Hang up the pocket chart somewhere the entire class can see it.
- Create two columns labeled a.m. and p.m.
- Tell the class that they will be identifying whether an activity is done in the morning (a.m.) or in the afternoon and evening (p.m.). Tell students that they will be placing the activity in the correct category on the pocket chart.
- Identify one activity and place it in the correct category together.
Guided Practice(5 minutes)
- Call on volunteer students to choose and place the notecards with activities on them under the correct category.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Pass out the a.m. or p.m.? worksheet.
- Read directions aloud.
- Walk around the room to check for understanding as students complete the worksheet.
- Enrichment: Challenge students to create their own a.m. or p.m. question.
- Support Help struggling students by reading and explaining the questions to them.
- Teacher observations during work time and worksheet correctness can be used as forms of assessment.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Have students share what the first thing they do in the morning is and what the last thing they do before bed is with the class.