Animal Action Subtraction
Need extra help for EL students? Try the Fishy Subtraction Stories pre-lesson.
Students will be able to see that when they take away some from a group of things, the numbers reduce.
- Tell your students that today they will be doing an activity about subtraction.
- Explain that subtraction means taking away from a group of things.
- Read the book Subtraction Action by Loreen Leedy.
- Use some pencils to explain this concept, or draw some pictures on the board to show how the numbers reduce, or get smaller, when you take away some from the group.
- Preview the story using a picture walk.
- Use counting manipulatives to model how to solve the problem.