Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Back to School Supply Shopping
Students will be able to apply their knowledge of multiplying whole numbers by decimals in real world situations.
- Tell students, "Today we are going to do some make-believe back to school shopping. But you won't just be buying for yourself. You will need a class set of each of the supplies on the supply list."
- Ask students to turn and talk about what steps they might take to accomplish this task. Some guiding questions you can ask are: What type of math will you need to use? what numbers will you be working with?
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Use the problems from Buying in Bulk to model multiplying whole numbers by decimals in money form.
- Watch the Introduction to Multiplying Decimals video.
Guided Practice(10 minutes)
- Distribute the school supply lists (see Differentiation for details) and budget sheets.
- Model choosing an item from the supply list, locating in the store ad, writing its details on the worksheet, and calculating the cost.
- Invite students to assist with the multiplication.
- Repeat as necessary.
Independent working time(20 minutes)
- Students will use the store ads, school supply lists, and budget sheets to plan their shopping trip.
- Enrichment: Advanced students can be given supply list 3.
- Support: Struggling students can be given supply list 1.
- Use the budget sheets to evaluate students' understanding of multiplying whole numbers and decimals.
- Assess whether they stayed within their allotted budget.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Have students write responses to the following questions: What was the most challenging part of this assignment? What are the most important steps to remember when multiplying decimals and whole numbers?