Beautiful Butterflies: The Letter B
Students will be able to identify stages of the butterfly life cycle. Students will be able to reenact the four stages of the butterfly cycle.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Give students a simple riddle to guess the animal they will learn about. For example: This animal has two wings and flutters around outside. What could it be?
- Flutter around like a butterfly, weaving in and out of students. Choose a few students or all to join.
- Ask students what they know about butterflies. Ask them the letter sound they hear at the beginning of the word butterfly.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Watch the Letter B Butterflies Song.
- Encourage students to sing along, as the song is easy and repetitive.
- Ask what B words were in the song.
- Ask your students what they notice about the butterflies, their movement, colors, and the amount of butterflies there were.
- Display the Butterfly Life Cycle worksheet.
- Tell your students that butterflies go through stages, and describe the life cycle with pictures.
- Explain that the mother butterfly lays the egg, or the shell that contains the small caterpillar, or worm-like creature.
- Then, tell your students that the caterpillar hatches from the egg and eats leaves. It cannot fly; it only can crawl.
- Explain that the caterpillar forms a chrysalis, or a cocoon, to sleep so it can grow into a butterfly.
- Tell your students that a butterfly breaks out of the chrysalis with new wings.
- Have students repeat after you or do finger play actions for each stage.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Form a circle on the carpet for students to reenact the butterfly life cycle with their bodies.
- First, have them curl into a ball for the egg stage.
- Second, instruct them to crawl like a caterpillar eating leaves.
- Third, ask them to stand still inside the chrysalis, not moving or making a sound.
- Fourth, direct them to flutter around like a butterfly.
- Review each stage as students are role playing.
Independent Working Time (10 minutes)
- Give students the coloring worksheet to complete.
- Instruct them to color the images of the butterfly life cycle with correct colors.
- Have them color the caterpillars green, the chrysalis brown, and the butterflies multiple colors.
- Remind them that butterfly starts with the letter B.
- Enrichment: Have your students color, cut, and paste the cycle in the correct order.
- Support: Provide your diagram for students who may not remember each stage during the assessment portion. Scaffold to help them color each stage the correct color.
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Ask students individually to tell you the order of the butterfly life cycle and what happens at each stage.
Review and Closing (10 minutes)
- Have a volunteer explain the butterfly life cycle to the rest of the class.
- Ask your students to demonstrate the cycle with their bodies.
- Direct your students to identify words that start with B.