Can You Prove It? Facts and Opinions!
Students will be able to identify facts and opinions and explain why each is a fact or opinion.
- Write the following sentence on the board: My friend's favorite color is yellow.
- Distribute the index cards, and ask each student to write "pre-assessment" at the top of one of her cards.
- Underneath, have students write down whether they think the sentence on the board is a fact or an opinion. Remind them to explain their answers.
- Take a vote to determine what most students believe. Allow volunteers to say a few words defending their opinion.
- Have students put aside their card. Build anticipation by letting them know that you'll reveal the correct answer at the end of the lesson.