Caring for Our Classroom Community
Students will be able to practice heartfulness and discuss how they can be caring with their words and deeds.
- Join students together in a circle, seated or standing.
- Introduce your completed puppet to the class.
- Have the bear puppet ask the class, "What does it mean to be caring?"
- Have the bear ask, "How does it feel when someone else cares for you?"
- Ask, "What are some caring and kind words to say to others?"
- Write these words on the board.
- Explain that you will play a song about caring and that the students will walk or dance around the room. When the music stops each student will stop and say a caring and kind word to another student.
- Have the bear puppet model for students how to dance to the music and then to pause when the music stops and to say caring words to the class.
- Play the "Caring Song" and ask the class to stand up to move around the room.
- Pause the music and ask students to get together with one other friend and to say a few kind and caring words to them.
- Continue to play and pause the music to share caring words two to three more times.
- Bring the class back together in a circle.
- Ask, "What was that like? How did it feel to say and hear caring words?"