Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Round and Round: Identifying Circles
Students will be able to identify and draw a circle. Students will be able to sort shapes based on one characteristic.
- Call your students together as a group, and ask them if they can identify a circle.
- Inform students that they will sing one verse of "The Wheels on the Bus," and do the actions.
- Altogether, sing: The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round, the wheels on the bus go round and round, all through the town.
- Show the students an image of a school bus.
- Inform the students that circles, like wheels, are round shapes.
- Reinforce the definition of round by making a circle with your hand.
- Ask the students to make a circle with their hands.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Draw a circle on the board.
- Explain to your students that circles are round and have no sides.
- Show your students images of a lollipop and a snowman.
- Ask a student to come to the board and point to the circle on the snowman.
- Ask another student to come to the board and point to the circle on the lollipop.
- Explain that lollipops and snowmen are made of circles, too.
Guided Practice(10 minutes)
- Place the students in even groups to work. Give each group several geometric shapes.
- Have the students pick out all of the circles and place them in a cup or bowl.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Give the students each a Shapes Maze worksheet.
- Have the students color all the circles with one color.
- Enrichment: For students who need a greater challenge, have them sort all of the geometric shapes provided.
- Support: Give students only shapes that are circles. Have the students sort the shapes by color.
- Assess the independent work of the students when you walk around the room.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Call the students together as a group.
- Ask the students to name two characteristics of a circle.
- Review the independent worksheet, and reveal how the bear gets back to his cave.