Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Students will be able to identify the basic colors.
- Ask students to walk around the class and find an object that is red. Then, have them find an object that is blue, green, yellow, and orange.
- Have each student share their favorite color with you.
- Show students the cover of One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish. Have them identify the colors of the fish on the cover.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Read One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish aloud to your class. Have them identify colors throughout the book.
Guided Practice(5 minutes)
- Tell students that they will be completing various centers. Break the class into 3 groups. Then explain the centers.
- Center 1: At center one, students will be presented with a bucket of pom poms that are different colors, and toilet paper rolls that are covered in different colored construction paper. They must drop pom poms in the toilet paper roll that corresponds with the color of the pom pom.
- Center 2: Students will complete a color by number worksheet called Colors in the Sky.
- Center 3: Students will complete a craft to go along with the book. First, have them color a white piece of paper blue to represent the ocean. Then, paint one hand of each student in group 3 red, and the other blue. Their handprints will represent red fish and blue fish from the story. They are invited to draw faces, create water bubbles, and draw other ocean objects in the picture.
Independent working time(30 minutes)
- Now allow students to complete the centers. Each student should have a chance to try each center.
- Monitor student progress throughout the lesson.
- Enrichment: Have students complete Color by Number Dinosaur Pals.
- Support: For students who may struggle with the color by number, color each color word the right color to help them decode the color chart. For example, color the word red red.
- Assess students' understanding of colors by observation throughout center time.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- To complete the lesson, have students go on another scavenger hunt around the classroom to find colored objects.