- Students will be able to identify words that can be used to form hyphenated words and contractions.
- Students will be able to combine words to form hyphenated words and contractions.
- Invite each student to take a word card out of a brown paper bag.
- Tell the students that their task is to find their group by looking for students that have similar words.
- Give the students a few minutes to mingle around the room and form groups.
- Ask each group to share the words that they grouped together.
- As each group shares, write the words on the board.
- Tell the students that they will be learning how to find separate words in sentences that can be condensed to form single words. These types of words are hyphenated compound words and contractions.