Community Helpers: Their Roles and Tools
Students will be able to learn about different community helpers that work to provide service to others.
- Ask your students what they know about community helpers.
- Tell them about community helpers who provide services to help others in their community.
- Play the Community Helpers Quiz game as a class.
- Ask students what job they would like to do when they grow up. Write their responses down on the board.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling(10 minutes)
- List down the different jobs done by community helpers.
- Ask your students to name some jobs.
- Next to the community helper, write down the service they provide, like how a firefighter helps put out big fires and saves lives.
- Discuss what tools they might use for their jobs.
- Show them the worksheet about matching tools to the community helper.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling(10 minutes)
- Give each student a copy of the Community Helpers Matching Time worksheet and ask them to look carefully at the picture of the community helper and the tools.
- Show them how to match one and see if they can say out loud what tools the community helpers would use for their jobs.
- Ask them to draw lines to match the tools to the community helpers.
Independent Working Time(10 minutes)
- Allow the students ample time to complete the worksheet on their own.
- Provide assistance when needed.
- After they complete the worksheet, ask different students to volunteer to read out their answers.
- Enrichment: The advanced students can write down the words on the worksheet. They can try to read them, too.
- Support: Your students can try to match the helper to their tools. Identifying the tools and helpers from the pictures will be useful too.
- Observe as they are answering your questions about identifying the community helpers and their jobs.
- As the students work independently, observe to see if they are able to do the worksheet correctly and without frustration.
- Check the completed worksheets to see if the students have done it right.
Review and Closing(10 minutes)
- Gather the students together after the worksheet is completed.
- Look at pictures of community helpers and their tools.
- Review the list of jobs your students had shown an interest in.