Comparing and Contrasting Cinderella Stories
Students will be able to compare and contrast two versions of the Cinderella story.
- Explain to students that they will be listening to a Cinderella story called The Rough-Face Girl.
- Have students recall key elements of the traditional Cinderella story and record them on the board or projector.
- To introduce tier 2 vocabulary, explain to the students that they will be using a vocabulary notebook to learn important words from the story before they listen to the text.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(20 minutes)
- Display The Rough-Face Girl Vocabulary Notebook document on an overhead or projector.
- Explain to the students that they will fill out this notebook sheet so that they can understand the vocabulary in the book they will be listening to shortly.
- Read and model the Word, Definition, My Picture, and My Sentence columns of the notebook.
- Model the next word using the tier 2 vocabulary document.
- Explain to the students that they will be filling out the remainder of the notebook and display the tier 2 vocabulary document for the class to use. Have the students complete the "My Picture" and "My Sentence" columns on their own.
- Walk the room and monitor student work and help as needed.
Guided Practice(15 minutes)
- Read The Rough-Face Girl aloud.
- Pause and discuss vocabulary words from the Vocabulary Notebook while reading.
- Arrange the students into pairs.
- Have the students think-pair-share to discuss how The Rough-Face Girl and the traditional Cinderella story are alike and different.
- Walk the room and monitor conversations.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Hand out a copy of the Character Comparison document to each student.
- In pairs, have the students complete the document by writing at least 2 items in each section of the Venn Diagram.
- Enrichment: Have advanced students write 3 or more items in each Venn Diagram section.
- Support: Pair struggling students with a peer mentor.
- Informal assessment is the graded Character Comparison documents.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Have a representative from each pair of students present a written item from their Venn Diagram.
- Have each student present a different item until all of the items from the students' Venn Diagrams have been presented.