Students will be able to count coins to know how much things are worth.
- Ask your students to name the different coins used in the United States.
- Show the students the different coins, and tell them what each coin is called.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling(10 minutes)
- Play the The Coin Song.
- Write the names on the board next to each coin.
- Draw a few coins on the board, and show the students how to count the coins to see how much the different items cost.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling(15 minutes)
- Give each student a bag of coins.
- Write a money amount on the board.
- Have the students use their coins to show the amount you have on the board.
Independent Working Time(15 minutes)
- Hand out the Counting Coins worksheet.
- Have the students complete the worksheet independently.
- Have them talk to their shoulder partner to check their worksheet
- Enrichment: Have the students tell you how much each item is worth without using the coins.
- Support: Allow struggling students to use their coins to complete the worksheets.
- Collect the worksheets to check for understanding.
- Assign Present Math 2 as an informal assessment.
- Allow students to use their coins to complete the worksheet.
Review and Closing(10 minutes)
- As a class, complete the Present Math 3 worksheet.
- Replay the The Coin Song.