Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Students will be able to use different types of descriptive words to add details to a story.
- Draw two people on the board: one very short and one very tall.
- Have students turn and talk to a partner about how each person looks.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Tell students that there are lots of words we use to describe things when we read. Sometimes we use sensory words. Sensory words are words that describe how we experience the world through our five senses: sight, smell, touch, taste, and sound.
- Tell students that sometimes we describe things by using opposite words. Opposite words are words like tall and short, big and little, and dark and light. Using opposite words helps us to contrast two things.
- Write sentences about the people on the board using opposite words (tall/short) and sensory details (describe how the people look).
Guided Practice(10 minutes)
- Read aloud the excerpt of the fiction text and discuss how the author used descriptive language.
- Tell students that they are going to write a personal narrative, or story about their life, using descriptive words. The challenge will be to use both sensory details and at least one instance of opposite words.
- Model how to write a paragraph of a personal narrative using descriptive details.
Independent working time(30 minutes)
- Have students write personal narratives using descriptive details (sensory words and at least one instance of opposite words).
- If students finish early, they can complete one of the following worksheets: It’s the Opposite, Same or Different, Use Your Senses, and Fill in the Sensory Details.
- Have students write a descriptive paragraph instead of an entire personal narrative.
- Have students share their personal narratives with a partner, eliciting feedback and revising writing as needed.
- Assess students’ understanding by noticing how they are using different describing words.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Have students share a description from their personal narratives.