Decimals, Decimals, Decimals!
Need extra help for EL students? Try the Decimal Comparisons pre-lesson.
Students will be able to use their knowledge of place value to add and subtract decimals.
- Explain to students that they will put their knowledge of adding and subtracting decimals to use with this game.
- Ask students what the most important rule is when adding or subtracting decimals. (Answer: lining up the decimal point.)
- Write the problem 2.21 + 0.54 on the board as a review. Have students help you solve the problem step by step.
- Allow students to use their home language (L1) or new language (L2) in their discussions.
- Provide visuals, such as a place vaue chart with decimal places, and visuals for new vocabulary (e.g., "decimals," "hundreths," "tenths," "fractions," etc.) to help them understand the decimal review.
- Write the academic language they can use throughout the lesson on the board as you introduce the language in the lesson (i.e., write sentence frames or new vocabulary).