Distribute to Multiply
Students will be able to solve multiplication problems using the Distributive Property of Multiplication.
- Invite your students to come to the class meeting area and bring their math journals and a pencil.
- Tell them to place their supplies on the floor next to them.
- Tell the students that today they're going to learn a strategy for solving 1 X 1, 1 X 2, and 2 X 2 multiplication problems. Write the word “Distribute” on the board.
- Let the students know that to distribute means to divide and dispense in portions.
- On the board write the following words next to the term "Distribute," “Distributive Property of Multiplication."
- Tell them that the Distributive Property of Multiplication works as follows, while writing the following on the board:
"If a × (b + c) = a × b + a × c, then × distributes over +."