Do First Grade Opinions Matter?
Students will learn their opinions do matter in a classroom community of first graders.
- Gather your students together to begin.
- Tell your students that today they'll be writing an opinion that matters.
- Ask your class if they know what an opinion is. After some discussion, define an opinion as what someone believes or feels about something.
- Explain that we often have reasons that support our opinions. Define reason as a convincing thought or piece of information.
- Tell your students that every opinion in the classroom deserves respect. Define respect as showing and accepting that one's thoughts, ideas, and abilities are important.
- Explain that understanding another's opinion is an important life skill.