All About 3D Shapes
This lesson can be used as a pre-lesson for the Solid Shapes: Identifying 3D Shapes lesson plan.
Students will be able to identify 3D shapes in objects they use in their daily lives.
Students will be able to describe 3D shapes using sentence stems and visual supports.
- Gather the class together for the start of the lesson.
- Ask students, "What are some shapes that you know?"
- Invite students to share the names of common 2D shapes and record these on the board (include both a visual and written name).
- Reflect back to the students that these are all 2D or flat shapes.
- Display the 3D items you collected to the class and ask them to turn and talk to a partner to share what they see using the sentence starter, "I see ________."
- Explain that while these might be everyday objects, they are also all 3D shapes. Tell the class that today they will be learning all about 3D shapes.