Compare and Contrast Fictional Characters
Students will be able to compare and contrast fictional characters from a familiar story.
Students will be able to compare and contrast fictional characters with grade-level words, verb phrases, and adjectives using visuals, sentence frames, and partner support.
- Gather students on the rug and ask them to give you a thumbs up if they have ever read or heard of the story, "The Three Little Pigs."
- Remind students that the characters in a story are the people or animals in the story. Characters are who the story is about.
- Ask students to give you a thumbs up if they know any of the characters in "The Three Little Pigs."
- Call on student volunteers to identify the main characters in "The Three Little Pigs"—the three pigs and the wolf.
- Remind students that readers have thoughts as they read that help them to understand the story better.
- Tell students that today they will be thinking about how the characters in "The Three Little Pigs" are the same, and how they are different.