Fantastic Fiction: Retelling Stories
This lesson can be used as a pre-lesson for the A Day at the Zoolesson plan.
Students will narrate several linked events, tell about the events in order, and provide a reaction to what happened.
Students will be able to retell a story with complete sentences using a word and picture bank.
- Gather the class together.
- Begin by telling the class that you are going to pretend to be an animal and they will need to guess what kind of animal you are.
- Act like a familiar animal (dog, cat, cow, horse, etc.) using both your body and voice (motions and sounds).
- Ask the students to guess the animal.
- Have the students turn and talk to a partner to share how they knew you were that animal (e.g., body motions, sounds).
- Tell the class that since you aren't really an animal, you were acting like one. Acting is when you pretend to be something you are not.
- Explain that today they will get to retell a story by acting it out.