Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
No standards associated with this content.
Which set of standards are you looking for?
Students will have a basic understanding of metamorphosis and be able to recognize the /c/ sound.
Students will be able to identify the beginning sound in grade level words with uppercase and lowercase letters using visual aides.
- Display the images or objects beginning with the letter C.
- Ask the students to turn and talk to a partner to identify the name of each object or image.
Building academic language
- Explain that all of these things begin with the same sound, and the same letter--the letter C.
- Write the uppercase and lowercase C on the board.
- Ask the students to practice writing the letter C in the air with their fingers while saying the hard C sound aloud.
- Pass out the Alphabet Practice C worksheet and have the students practice writing the letter C on their own.
- Have the students turn and talk to a partner to think of other words that begin with the same sound.
- Have students return to the worksheet and draw pictures of other words beginning with the letter C.
- Tell the class that today they will be learning about a special insect that starts with the letter C, called a caterpillar.
- Read aloud the book Are You a Butterfly? By Judy Allen
- Pause as you read to note the word "caterpillar" and have the students say it with you.
- After reading, ask the students if they can remember what happened to the caterpillar in the book. Prompt students with the sentence starter, "First ____. Then, ____. Finally, ____."
- Review the metamorphosis process with the students, providing student friendly word definitions using the glossary and visual vocabulary cards as reference materials.
- Pass out the One, Two, Three worksheet for students to complete independently.
- Ask the students to circle the image that begins with the letter C.
Additional EL adaptations
- Provide additional objects or images that begin with the letter C for students to identify and use on their worksheets.
- Ask students to identify additional words beginning with the letter C.
Formative Assessment of Academic Language(5 minutes)
- Ask students to share their C words with a partner.
- Collect student work samples and assess whether students drew pictures that begin with the letter C.
- Check student work to assess if students were able to correctly order the life cycle of a butterfly.
Review and closing(2 minutes)
- Review the life cycle of a butterfly.
- Ask students to say the word "caterpillar" aloud and remind them that caterpillar begins with the letter C.