Explanations for Expressions
- Students will be able to use context to determine the meaning of figurative language such as idioms and hyperbole.
- Students will be able to recognize meanings of common idioms and hyperbole.
- Distribute individual whiteboards and markers or sheets of white paper to students.
- Write an idiom of choice on the board and ask the students to draw the literal representation of that idiom.
- Tell the students that sometimes the literal representation doesn’t match figurative language such as idioms and hyperboles.
- Tell the students that they will be learning some common expressions of figurative language and how to use the context to determine the meaning.