Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Feel the Beat
No standards associated with this content.
Which set of standards are you looking for?
Students will be able to write poems to represent dances.
- Ask students to share their favorite dance moves.
- Call on students to come up to the front of the class to show their dance moves.
Explicit instruction/Teacher modeling(20 minutes)
- Read aloud Feel the Beat by Marilyn Singer.
- Tell students that the book represented different dances through poems.
- Look closely at the poem for the cha-cha. Analyze how the poem represented the cha-cha with words.
Guided practice/Interactive modeling(10 minutes)
- Choose an established dance or make up your own dance move.
- Tell students that you are going to write a poem about your dance.
- Model how to create a poem to represent the dance.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Have students pick or create a dance of their choice.
- Hand out paper to students and have them write their own poems.
Support: Select a dance for students to write a poem about.
Enrichment: Have students write a book of poems about different dances.
- Assess how students are creating poems that represent dance moves.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Call on pairs to read their poems and, if possible, do their dance moves.