Feel the Beat
Students will be able to write poems to represent dances.
- Ask students to share their favorite dance moves.
- Call on students to come up to the front of the class to show their dance moves.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(20 minutes)
- Read aloud Feel the Beat by Marilyn Singer.
- Tell students that the book represented different dances through poems.
- Look closely at the poem for the cha-cha. Analyze how the poem represented the cha-cha with words.
Guided Practice(10 minutes)
- Choose an established dance or make up your own dance move.
- Tell students that you are going to write a poem about your dance.
- Model how to create a poem to represent the dance.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Have students pick or create a dance of their choice.
- Hand out paper to students and have them write their own poems.
Support: Select a dance for students to write a poem about.
Enrichment: Have students write a book of poems about different dances.
- Assess how students are creating poems that represent dance moves.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Call on pairs to read their poems and, if possible, do their dance moves.