Addition: Over in a Flash
Need extra help for EL students? Try the Adding Within 20 pre-lesson.
Students will be able to find two numbers that equal a certain sum.
- Start the lesson by having students in the class take turns finding the sum, or the answer to an addition problem, of numbers on addition flashcards.
- Tell students that next they will see the sum of an addition problem on an index card, and they will need to come up with two numbers that, when added together, equal that sum.
- Provide students with a notecard that has the parts of an addition problem labeled (addends and sum).
- Define sum and combine in English and student's home language (L1).
- Instruct students to explain what a sum is to their elbow partner.
- Have students repeat back their partner's response in their own words.