Students will be able to identify the different stages in the frog life cycle.
- Let your students know that this lesson will be about frogs and their life cycles.
- Ask them to stand up and hop around the room like frogs as a warm-up activity.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Using the Frog Life Cycle sheet as a visual aid, teach students about the life cycle of a frog, or the stages it goes through as it grows. Frogs lay their eggs under lily pads. Hatched babies emerge as tadpoles. Over time, the tadpoles grow legs and become froglets. As the froglets grow, they lose their tails and become frogs.
Guided Practice(10 minutes)
- Ask students to gather around the sensory bin you've set up. Allow them to examine different parts, and ask them to look for places where frogs would go at different stages of their life cycles. For example, you can ask them to find the place where frogs lay eggs.
- Give them some more specific questions to think about. A great example is, Where would frogs lay their eggs?
- Discuss these questions with students as they explore the sensory bin.
Independent working time(20 minutes)
- Have students return to their seats.
- Distribute crayons and copies of the Frog on Lily Pad coloring page to the class. Ask students to color in their pages.
- Encourage them to discuss the topic of frogs with their peers as they work.
- Enrichment: Ask advanced students more challenging questions. For example, you can ask: At which stage can the frog climb onto rocks?
- Support: Ask struggling students simpler questions. For example, you can ask: At which stage is the frog smallest?
- Bring out the Life Cycle of a Frog sheet once again.
- Ask for volunteers to explain each stage of the cycle.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Go over all of the stages yourself, correcting any mistakes that students made in their explanations.
- Ask students to share some of their experiences from the lesson. Great discussion starters are: What part of the lesson did you like best? Do you remember where each stage of the frog life cycle takes place?