Fun With Blends
Students will be able to identify and use consonant blends with the letter L to make words.
- Ask students to identify what letter comes after K in the alphabet.
- Ask students to make the L sound.
- Tell students that today they will be learning L blends.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling(10 minutes)
- Affix the images to the board.
- Under each picture, write the L blend (such as FL, CL, or GL) in one color and the remainder of the word in black.
- Tell the students that the FL blend is at the beginning of the word flower, and point to the blend.
- Repeat this with the other words.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling(10 minutes)
- Give each student 5 precut Fun With Blends templates printed on white paper. Before the lesson, write each L blend on the templates with the word endings.
- Have the students color all the blends with one color.
- Ask your students to color the endings in another color.
- When your students have finished coloring, encourage them to match the L blends with the correct endings to make the same 5 words presented during the introduction.
- Walk around the classroom as the students match the words, and have them say the words to you.
Independent Working Time(10 minutes)
- Give each student a Fun With Blends worksheet.
- Read the instructions to the students.
- Give your students time to complete the worksheet.
- Enrichment: Give the students the option of writing more words with the L blend, such as glass, flour, clean, slide, and blue. Have your students categorize the words according to their L blends.
- Support: Give the students just one L blend at a time. For example, only present BL as in block, blanket, and blue.
- Collect the worksheet for grading.
Review and Closing(10 minutes)
- Ask the students what sound L makes.
- Have your students identify the L blends.
- As the students exit the classroom, ask your students to tell you one L blend word they learned today.