Counting to 20: Get 'Em in Order!
Students will be able to count, order, and say what number comes before and after a number from 0-20.
- Explain to the students that they will be working with ordering numbers from 0–20 today.
- Play the "Count to 20!" video.
- Write the word “order” on the board, and explain that order is the arrangement of things in a particular pattern or sequence. You could order some students by their height as an example.
- Ask the students to come together and show them the 0–20 Number Line Template. Tell them that they will soon make their own.
- Show students how to cut out and glue the number line together.
- Display the numbers 1–20 in order and have the whole class count to 20 with you.
- Ask the students go back to their desks.
- Hand out the Number Line Template, and tell them to begin cutting and gluing.
- Go around and assist any struggling students with this task.
- When the students are finished, bring them back together to explain the next activity.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Show students a bag of number cards and demonstrate pulling one out.
- Look at the number and say it.
- Hold up the number to the number line you previously made, and locate where it goes on the number line.
- Use adhesive putty to stick it to the board.
- Pull out another number and repeat the process.
Guided Practice(5 minutes)
- Continue this activity, and ask students to come up, pick a number, and show you where it goes in order compared to the other numbers already chosen.
- Ask students to explain their thinking when ordering the numbers.
- Tell the students that they will all get to order numbers at their desks.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Ask the students to go back to their desks, and hand out the bags of Number Cards to them.
- Tell the students to pull out the numbers and put them in order.
- Remind them that they can use the number lines they made to help them if needed.
- Walk around and observe how the students order their numbers.
- When finished, ask the students to put their numbers back in their bags.
- Students can work with numbers to 10 before going on to 20.
- To challenge students, put students in pairs. Tell the students to put their numbers in order from 1–20. Have one of the students look away while the other flips a card or two over. The other student looks at the numbers and says what card if flipped. Then switch and repeat.
- Observe how the students ordered the numbers 1–20.
- Observe how they worked when comparing their numbers.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Bring the students back together.
- Select 20 students and give them numbers between 1–20.
- Ask the group to get in order from 1–20.
- Play the "Count to 20!" video again, and have the students sing and move.