Which set of standards are you looking for?
Students will be able to spell words that start with the letter A.
- Ask students to popcorn share words that start with the letter A.
- As they share, write the words on the board.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Tell students that they are going to go on an "A" hunt. They will walk around the classroom and find different things that start with the letter A.
- Show students how to attach a piece of paper to a clipboard. Find one classroom item that starts with A, and model how to stretch out the word to hear all the sounds. Record all the sounds you hear on your paper.
Guided Practice(5 minutes)
- Ask for a volunteer to come up to the front of the room and share an item in the classroom that starts with the letter A.
- Call on students to share what letters you should write down on your paper to represent the word.
Independent working time(20 minutes)
- Hand clipboards and paper out to students. Have them walk around the classroom looking for things that start with A and writing down what they find.
- If students think they are done, have them partner with another student to compare words and add to their lists.
Support: Write down A words for students to find rather than having them write their own words.
Enrichment: Challenge students to write a paragraph using as many of the A words as they can.
- Assess how students are spelling A words.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Call on students to share the words they find. Write the words on a master list on the board.