Greater Than, Less Than: Comparing Three-Digit Numbers
Need extra help for EL students? Try the More, Less, or the Same? pre-lesson.
Students will be able to compare three-digit numbers using the <, > and = symbols.
- Write the numbers 54 and 45 on the board.
- Ask your students to identify the bigger, or greater, number.
- Ask students to explain how they know which number is greater.
- Tell students that today they are going to do something similar by comparing three-digit numbers.
- Show students both numbers using base-ten blocks.
- Encourage students to share their answer with a peer who speaks the same home language (L1), if possible.
- Provide sentence frames to support students as they share their ideas, such as: I know ________ is greater than ________ because ________.